Intuit will discontinue support for QuickBooks Desktop 2020 as of May 31, 2023. This includes all versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier and Enterprise Solutions v20 (see the specific list of products below).
After May 31, 2023, access to add-on services will be discontinued for QuickBooks Desktop 2020. Your access to add-on services, including QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Services, Online Backup, Online Banking, Live Support, and others (see the list below) through QuickBooks Desktop 2020 will be discontinued after May 31, 2023.
If you don’t use any of the add-on services in QuickBooks Desktop 2020, your product will work; however, you won’t have access to live technical support or any of the other Intuit services that integrate with QuickBooks Desktop.
Other Intuit services/products affected by add-on services discontinuation when used with QuickBooks Desktop 2020:
- Workers’ Comp Payment Service
- QuickBooks Workforce (formerly ViewMyPaycheck)
- Credit Card Payment Processing
- Merchant Service Deposit (reconciliation)
- Recurring Payments
- Payment Processing
- Accountant Copy Transfer Service
- Contributed Reports
- Multi-currency/Exchange Rate
- QuickBooks Time
Remember, discontinued versions won’t receive critical security patches or technical updates starting June 1, 2023. So, if you receive any security patches or technical updates prior to June 1, 2023, it is recommended you install them.
These are the specific Intuit products that are affected by the discontinuation after May 31, 2023:
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2020 (General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Nonprofit, Professional Services, and Retail)
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 20
- QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2020
- QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant 20
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2020
Intuit makes every effort to provide customer support for registration and licensing of older versions of QuickBooks Desktop under Intuit’s standard terms and conditions, if that data is available.
And while Intuit currently provides download files back to QuickBooks Desktop 2020; they don’t guarantee they will be able to register, provide key codes, or offer data and password recovery for such versions of QuickBooks.
On or before May 31, 2023 you have two options for transitioning from QuickBooks Desktop 2020
If you use QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and you are using any of the above mentioned Intuit services, or you subscribe to live technical support, you’ll need to transition to another version or product on or before May 31, 2023, if you plan on continuing using those Intuit services.
- Transition to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop Plus or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, or migrate to the cloud with QuickBooks Online Plus or QuickBooks Online Advanced, depending on your requirements.
- If you are considering migrating from Desktop to Online, you can learn more about making the move at this official Intuit website which includes a short video on the process of transitioning.
Originally published in the Firm of the Future Blog.